Monday 3 October 2011

Does my 'BUT' look too big?

I have been listening to some recordings from Topher Morrison, one of my favourite coaches and a colleague at APCTC.

He talks about the art of negotiation using NLP tools and reminded me about using the word BUT.

It took me a long while but now I rarely use the word but unless it refers to something I might be saying eg

I would love to go out in the sunshine but I have too much work

After much practice I now replace it with the word AND as much as I can because BUT just negates everything someone has just said to you! The word HOWEVER sort of does too but it not quite so obvious. So for example if a person is expressing an opinion you disagree with, the word AND will build bridges whilst allowing you to still add your opinion.

try it and see the difference when communicating....

No comments:

Post a Comment